New to RC and clubs

General Discussion forum. Introduce yourself, ask questions about the club, etc.

New to RC and clubs

Postby jlee » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi All,
thanks for letting me join your forum. I'm currently looking to get into RC (most likely a 1/10 electric buggy of some sort, any recommendations would be welcome), would like to get a kit instead of an RTR. I haven't driven (is that the right term?) one since I was 6 years old when my dad bought us one from Radio Shack. Anyways, the questions that I do have are specifically about becoming a member. If you are a member do you have access to the track most of the time (i.e. can you go and use it during the day by yourself or does it have to be a specific event?). Also, I get the feeling that RC people are generally helpful and would like to spread the word, what, if any, tips do you have a for a new guy?

Thanks,
Joe
jlee

Re: New to RC and clubs

Postby duffyscourt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Hey Joe, welcome to OutlawRC

New member here, and just thought I would offer my 2cents worth
I had been removed from the hobby as well until just last year, so I know where you are coming from. This year is my first racing, and I love it. The most popular category by far is the 1/10 scale short course trucks, 2wd & 4wd. If you are leaning towards buggy, our 1/8 scale buggy class seems to be growing. You can check the race results tab to get a feel for the # of entries in each category and go from there.
The only advice I can give you, is avoid saving an extra $25-30 online and buy a RTR kit from your local hobby shop, they can recommend something perfect for your needs, as well as something they have plenty of parts support for. Every kit has a TON of upgrades to get into, my advice on that, upgrade as they break.
The track is pretty much always open for practice and tuning, barring any special events going on.
We have a race coming up this Sunday, grab a kit and come join us!!!! -Cheers
duffyscourt

Postby kristomueller » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Hey Joe, as for 1/10 buggy I know people seem to like associated.

As a member you get open practice from 8am-10pm. Everday except event days. Any event race entey members recieve a reduced race entry fee. We do like raising awareness any chance we get, any tips hmmm, be considerate about rc everywhere you go. Remember streets are for cars and school fields are for sports so share them kindly and do be upset with people when thwy look at you like you dont belong their. Its why we have a track now.
Rustler up the crowd and slash the competion
kristomueller

Postby jlee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi All,
thanks for the tips guys and the replies. I'll definitely look into the team associated stuff. I hope to be able to get out there one day to watch!

One more question, which RC shops are recommended? I live in Vancouver and have done some casual visits to a couple out here, please let me know any recommendations.

Thanks,
Joe
jlee

Return to General Discussion